Hawks v Newton 11/10/14

Paulton Tomahawks took to the court on a wet October morning. Following a closely fought midweek game against Millfield, Hawks walked onto court confident that they could achieve their second league win of the season.

Hawks made a great start to the game taking the first 4 goals with Darby and Cheryl linking up brilliantly in attack. However, Newton soon settled and pulled back the deficit with the rest of the quarter going goal for goal. The teams left the court at the end of the first quarter level. Hawks 10, Newton 10.

Following a change to the attack, with co-captain Davina taking the GS bib from her sister Darby, Hawks returned to the court with the goal of forging a lead. The quarter started well with the defensive pairing of Victoria and Kirsty making life difficult for the Newton shooters but it was the team from Yeovil who started to pull away with several goals in quick succession. Hawks were starting to settle into the quarter with some great mid court work from Jade and Sarah to turnover the ball, when a time-out was called following a fall from the Newton GD. This interruption unsettled the home side and Newton were able to enter the half time break four goals to the good. Hawks 16, Newton 20.

Another change to the Hawks line-up was made with Darby moving back to the shooting circle and Laura returning to the court at WD for the start of quarter 3. The game restarted with the teams fighting over every loose ball, both determined to take home a win. Life was made even more difficult with the glare from the sun on the wet court forcing both teams to take their time moving the ball across the court. Paultons defensive unit were working tirelessly to prevent Newton from scoring with Kirsty at GK working hard to limit the options of the Newton GS, who rarely missed a shot. At the other end of the court Cheryl was taking control of the attack with some impressive shooting of her own, keeping Paulton in the game. Both teams increased their scores by 11 by the end of the quarter with Hawks still trailing by 4. Hawks 27, Newton 31.

Both teams started the final quarter with a win in mind. But it was Newton who got back into their groove quicker, turning over an early ball and increasing their lead to 6 goals. Hawks didn’t give up and played hard to the final whistle, never making the game easy for their opposition, but were unable to make up ground with the game ending with a Newton win. Hawks 33, Newton 38.

Thanks to all the spectators for their support and advice. Player of the match was Cheryl.

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>